About me...

Because this journey is intensely personal, there will be times when my posts will be about more than just rebuilding the physical aspects of my life. They may be random and sometimes I think they may not even make sense to some. But whatever I post here will be as honest as I can make it, no punches pulled, telling it like it it. I hope that I can share some insight with others who might be going through a similar transitory period in their own lives. With luck and perseverence I know I will eventually successful in my new life. I have very high hopes for all of this but then I had those when Dave was alive, too. I am naturally a pretty optomistic person, I think.

New Location, Starting at Ground Zero

This is a short angle view of the new location, so that you can see the trees, etc. at the back edge. The property is cleared at the front, but there is still a good bit of vegetation at the rear. Lots of honeysuckle, which is good for attracting bees and other pollinating insects and wild blackberries mingled among them. This is the area where I will be establishing the first beds.
Unfortunately the angle I took this picture at doesn't have much perspective so it looks much smaller than it actually is.

These are my 4 year old blueberry plants, which with the help of some wonderful friends, we dug up and transported to the new location. There are 46 of them in all. There are 4 different varieties, Premier, Tiftblue, Oneal and Climax, all having different harvest dates so that my harvest ranges over about an 8-10 week period.
These will be planted along the very back edge of the plot where the beds will be placed. They survived the move quite well and are loaded with ripening berries, even in these stressed conditions. I am excited about that because I was not totally sure they would survive such a traumatic event, but we did a good job!

Not a very good shot, but those are my grapevines. I bought those last year but because of Dave's illness they were never properly planted. I just "heeled" them in (that means we just laid them down & covered them with dirt to protect the roots). They survived the entire winter. They started bearing new leaves at the same time our in ground grapevines did and that was pretty cool. Plants are sometimes hardier than we give them credit for so if you have something you think might have died but you aren't quite sure, give it a little care & the benefit of the doubt and you might be happily surprised. We just potted them up & they were off to their new home.

Closer view of the rear buffer zone. I love the fact that this property is buffered on several sides and with small barrier (drainage) ditches. If I plan properly, from an organic standpoint, I can avoid having any runoff problems arise.

This is the long view of the property, taken from just about the center of the plot. The grassy area at the very back will eventually be the in ground garden, if all this works out like I have planned. These pictures are kind of deceiving because of the angles I am taking them at doesn't give a very good perspective.
Since this area looks a lot like someone's backyard, that might be a good thing because it will be easy to imagine how one could apply my info and methods to a landscaping situation.

To get a little better perspective, I walked down the the roadside edge of the property and took this picture to give a little more of an idea of the size of the trees,etc. That is one of the water towers for the city of Lincolnton. It is HUGE but I can't see it over the trees down in the area where I will be planting.